Wednesday 13 July 2011

when head battled heart

On a whim, I followed the twisted river.
Instinct galloping on up ahead,
astride the sparkling moment.

Effervescent and soft saddled,
my sleek and sturdy steed
ran like the wind.

Blustered and blown, I felt that sharp sting,
that biting buzz of conscience,
twinged.

Reason and his long loyal henchman,
had joined forces, collaborated
to stop my errant flight.

The strong arms of thought and logic
those powerful twin adversaries,
clung around my ankles.

But my wily and wise earthbound feet
had grown swift, with wings
upon their willing heels.

For that bright and glorious butterfly
that had formed, and fluttered
from my ever open heart...

was far too full of joy, for me to ever resist,
and I, its guardian and willing cohort
had no more doubt.

I gathered myself up, and swirling light
and scattering colour, I danced
out into the waiting world.

Where my life became a painting,
and my every footstep
became a poem.


© Susannah Bec 2011


This was originally posted over at my prompt writing blog - Panopticulated.
It was written in response to a wordle prompt and all 12 words are in there. :-)

14 comments:

MC said...

This is a lovely portrayal of the struggle between heart and mind.

Bubba said...

I also told tales of this battle, from two different viewpoints:

Brain Knows Best

Heart Knows Best

Sherry Blue Sky said...

OH, WOW!!!!!! SO wonderful, especially "where my life became a painting and my every footstep a poem." Fantastic, Susannah!!!!! I love it.

Charles said...

A well thought out piece which captures the struggle so well.

Susannah said...

M.C. Thank you and it is good to see you. x


Eric, thanks for leaving your links. ;-)


Sherry, Thank you. :-) It is always good to see you. x


Charles, thanks, it is good to see you. :-)

Rajesh said...

So much of Joy! Beautiful :)

Susannah said...

Good to see you Rajesh, and thank you. :-)

Mary said...

Susannah, a striking poem. The last stanza is especially beautiful and makes me want to cry out YES!

Unknown said...

The images conjured are true depictions of those sensations we all share. I too, adore the last lines. great write, Susannah.

Maggie said...

oh, yes, how you have captured the struggle.

A very lovely write. : )

Susannah said...

Thanks very much Mary, Kim and thingy. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. :-)

Good to see you all. x

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

sharp, you have detective eyes, well done.

Martin said...

How delightful you paint this inner process!

Susannah said...

Thanks very much jingle and Martin. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...